Your windows are important and it’s time to start treating them like they are. Don’t give it another thought; dress them in new, quality, window treatments and give your home something new and exciting. Window treatments play an important part in interior design, but it is also functional as it maximizes light and gives you privacy control. From shutters to blinds to shades, there are many window coverings made from different materials and in different styles with their own unique features. Whether this is your first time shopping for window treatments or on the list of many, Best Buy Shutters has everything you need. We are here to walk you through the entire process from start to finish and Las Vegans already know us as their local shutter experts. With more than 40 years of experience in the industry, we get your windows looking back to new again.
Let’s face it, you have an important decision to make, but we’re here to help. Let’s start by looking at two popular window treatments: Blinds and Shutters. Although both serve the same purpose of light control and privacy, they also have distinctive differences. We’ve compiled a list of a few common deciding factors that’ll help you decide between two great choices. Our Blinds vs. Shutters guide walks you through:
- Pros and Cons
- Life Expectancy
Financial factors are often the main deciding factor, but don’t let that stop you from learning about your other options. Blinds have been a popular choice for years due to their affordable prices and ease of use. Compared to other hard window treatments, blinds are highly functional for their cost-effective prices and they come in a variety of materials, styles, colors, and designs. A few types of popular blinds are:
- Mini blinds
- Wood/Faux-Wood blinds
- Venetian Blinds
- Vertical Blinds
- Panel Track Blinds
On the other hand, shutters are more expensive than blinds. They are exclusively made for your windows and your windows only. Blinds are mounted on a separate mounting bracket to the top of the window frame and drape down to cover the panes, whereas shutters are mounted directly on your window frame. Shutters can be mounted inside or outside of the frame and they come in different sizes and finishes. Modern shutters, like Plantation Shutters, have become a favorite choice in homeowners looking to redesign their spaces. Plantation shutters bring a traditional and classic feel to any space while modernizing the room’s existing design. Although shutters run more expensive than blinds in the beginning, they turn out to be more cost-effective in the long-run.
Regular maintenance performed on both blinds and shutters will have them looking fresh for a longer period of time. Cleaning your blinds depends on the material you have installed. Faux-Wood, plastic, and aluminum blinds are cleaned with water or a cleaning solution and wiped down with a rag. Aluminum blinds, however, can also be vacuumed, dusted, or washed in different ways. Wooden blinds are not made to keep moisture, so it is best to avoid getting them wet. To clean real wood, use a feather duster, soft cloth, or a vacuum brush. Do not use any water or you’ll risk warping. Cleaners made specifically for wood materials are used to polish and restore their shine.
Similar to blinds, the material of your shutters depends on how you maintain them.
- Aluminum, vinyl, painted wood, and faux-wood are fairly easy to maintain. Dust them regularly with a feather duster or a microfiber cloth, working your way through each and every slat, from top to bottom. Water is safe to use on these surfaces but follow closely behind with a dry cloth to eliminate the risk of watermarks.
- Never wet your Real Wood Shutters- that is the easiest way to damage them. To maintain their shine, regularly dust them down with a microfiber cloth and use furniture polish or lemon oil to keep them looking radiant and new while preserving their natural beauty.
- Our exclusive High-Tech PolyCel® Shutters are easier to clean than any other window treatment. They have a micro smooth finish that is dust resistant, virtually maintenance-free, and never needs touch-ups.
Pros and Cons
There is not a universal “best” window treatment. Finding the best depends on you, your lifestyle, your needs, and your design taste. It has to suit your home and space it’ll occupy. Both blinds and shutters are great treatment choices, but let’s look more into them by analyzing their pros and cons.
- Available in a variety of colors, styles, and designs. They add texture to space and ties the entire interior design together.
- Subtle and a softer aesthetic than shutters, but fit right into any existing home/room decor.
- A clean, sophisticated, and sleek look makes it perfect for businesses, offices, and other professional spaces.
- Ideal for smaller spaces as they do not make the room look or feel cluttered, but cozy.
- Easy to maintain
- Ease of use
- Light and privacy control
- Require more upkeep than shutters
- Certain fabrics become damaged by the sun’s powerful UV rays or moisture
- Short lifespan, replacements will be needed often
Advantages of shutters include
- Larger light distribution and control
- Full privacy control as the louvers close more tightly
- Maximizes the space in the room
- Blocks out the sun’s harmful UV rays
- Energy efficient
- Low-maintenance and easier to clean than blinds due to their large louvers
- Custom-made to fit any window in any space
- Modern, yet traditional and elegant
- Last long
- Strong and durable
- Adds value to your home
- More expensive window treatments
- Heavier in weight than blinds
- Furniture that’s blocking or sitting in front can prevent functionality
- Unlike blinds, shutters can not be raised to expose the entire window frame
The truth is, you want something that’s worth your money, something that lasts over time. The average life expectancy of window blinds is seven to 10 years- including proper and regular maintenance. Other factors such as children or pets can cause damage to your blinds and result in you going back to square one: researching window treatments. Shutters outlasts its competitor treatments as it easily lives over 10 years. Its solid and sturdy structure gives it a layer of defense, so children and pets can’t damage your lavish new shutters.
High-Tech PolyCel® Shutters have superior strength and durability. Longevity is their middle name as they look beautiful on your windows for decades. Redecorating and redesigning is made easy when your windows are already one step ahead. As a permanent fixture, shutters add value to your home and potential buyers won’t have to or want to replace their window treatments. It is a win-win for everyone.
Best Buy Shutters
Your windows will love the new treatments you picked out. Whether you decided to go with blinds or with shutters, Best Buy Shutters is your one-stop-shop for everything you need. From design consultations to manufacturing and installation, we’ve got you covered. Indulge in our free services and enjoy your new windows for years to come. We’ve installed over 25,000 window treatments across our decades of experience, so when you are ready to upgrade your windows, contact us. Until then, your free in-home design consultation is waiting for you. Call (702) 710-3004 today to schedule.